Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sauerkraut Again

Last week one of my grocery stores had cabbage for 19 cents a pound. I'm making corned beef and cabbage tonight. That will meet Joe's monthly quota for cabbage, but at such a great price I bought extras so I could make sauerkraut. Yummy sauerkraut.

A year and a half ago I tried my hand at homemade sauerkraut and it was delicious. Here's the recipe I used back then. I've since found the juniper berries that I omitted back then, so the new batch has juniper berries and caraway seeds.

It's crazy cheap to make homemade sauerkraut. I paid $1.49 for 3 heads of cabbage. Two heads went to the sauerkraut and the other is for the corned beef. That's roughly $1.00 for enough cabbage to make 12 cups of sauerkraut. I already had the salt, juniper berries and caraway seeds in my pantry, so I don't know what cost they contributed to the recipe, but it wasn't much.

For comparison, I bought a 32 oz jar of sauerkraut for $1.84. I needed it for the reubens we'll be making with the leftover corned beef tomorrow night. Too bad we couldn't wait 4 weeks for the homemade batch to be ready for consumption. That jar has a third as much as the homemade, but cost more.

No comments:

Post a Comment