Friday, March 27, 2009

Cheesy Potato Spoon Bread

We tried a new recipe tonight at dinner for Cheesy Potato Spoon Bread. I've been holding on to the recipe for a while now. I clipped the recipe from the March 2005 issue of Vegetarian Times Magazine. It only took 4 years for the stars to align and for me to have the ingredients on hand. Usually when I keep a recipe that long, I am disappointed, but this one was good. Joe and Samantha both had seconds, so that means it's a keeper.

The original recipe has some quirks that I attribute to the fact that it came from a vegetarian magazine. I'm a meat-eating homecook, so I adapted the recipe to suit my cooking style. The portion size was large, which is fine as a main dish, but I served this as a side. There were alternate directions for baking individual ramekins or a single casserole dish. I chose the family friendly casserole dish. Another recipe oddity was the SOY margarine combined with the eggs and dairy. Vegetarians are weird.

Here is my version:

Cheesy Potato Spoon Bread

Makes 6 side dish servings
  • 1/2 T margarine
  • 2 c leftover mashed potatoes (prepared)
  • 1/2 c water
  • 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 T margarine
  • 1/4 t onion powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/4 t ground pepper
  • 1/4 t cayenne pepper
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 3 oz. hot pepper cheese, shredded
  • 5 oz. neufchatel cheese, softened
  1. Preheat oven to 425F. Generously butter 1.5-qt. soufflé dish or casserole.
  2. If using cold mashed potatoes, warm in large nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat until very hot, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
  3. Meanwhile, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Put flour, margarine, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in mixing bowl, and pour boiling water over mixture. Using electric mixer on low, beat for 1 minute, and add very hot mashed potatoes. Beat again well. Add eggs, and beat again, until thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
  4. Mix cheeses in a small mixing bowl. Pour 4 cups potato mixture (about two-thirds) into the prepared casserole. Drop spoonfuls of the cheese filling over the potato mixture. Cover filling with remaining potato mixture. Place casserole on baking sheet.
  5. Bake 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment