Monday, July 27, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Of all the meals we ate last week, the Curry Chicken was probably my favorite. Very surprising considering that I did not grow up eating those flavors. Joe and Samantha also liked it. She knows that it's called curry, but she even called the currants "curry", so there's still a little confusion there. This was a freezer meal, but just as good as the first time around.

I'm at a point where I want to actively cook more meals each week. Part of me doesn't want the summer to slip away with casseroles cooking in a hot oven. Heck, I'd be happy if it were always summer. So more grilling and new ways to use up the fresh CSA veggies while they're in season.

Monday - mexican un-stuffed shells, fritos and ro-tel dip, cucumbers

Tuesday - escarole, beans and italian sausage over pasta -- not sure how the greens are gonna fly with Joe, but I have a whole head of escarole to use up, so here goes.

Wednesday - turkey dressing casserole

Thursday - beef in a leaf -- now that we have beef again I can make this asian-inspired dish

Friday - pizza night, salad -- I froze half the dough last week, so the hard part will be deciding what toppings to use this week!

Saturday - spicy honey chicken thighs on the grill, starchy side, green veg

Sunday - brats on the grill, buffalo chicken spaghetti, green veg

Do you know what you're eating this week? If you would like some menu plan inspiration, be sure to check out Menu Plan Monday at I'm an Organizing Junkie to see what others are having!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try making my own pizza soon. Is it pretty easy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade pizza is easy and fun. I've been making pizza since I was in high school or maybe even earlier.

    For me, the most intimidating part was making a yeast dough from scratch. I've only been doing that for a year and a half. I used to use those dry mixes. I also used the Pillsbury pizza dough which was good until I expanded into the frozen white bread dough. Now the canned dough tastes too chemically. Eventually I tried my own yeast dough. I started with the recipe that came with my Kitchenaid mixer. It's a great starter recipe and the mixer does the kneading for me.

    I don't have a written recipe for sauce. Joe has been bugging me for years to write it down. Basically I take a 6 oz can of tomato paste and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and mix them together. Then I take every "italian" spice (basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, etc) in my cupboards and shake it in more or less depending on how much I like that spice. Plus there's my secret ingredient -- a teeny dash of cinnamon. It's usually too thick so I thin it out and zip it up by adding some "juice" from a jar of banana peppers. This is enough for 2 or 3 pizzas, so I freeze any leftover sauce for next time.

    I used to prebake my crust for 5-8 minutes or until light golden as an insurance policy. Now I just top the raw dough and bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly. If the cheese is only melted, then the dough will be raw, but when I wait for it to brown, then it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete